I am pleased to report that Wincanton have recently agreed to sign up to the TUC ‘Dying To Work’ Charter. For those members who are not aware of this initiative, please read the following.
- The TUC ‘Dying to Work’ Voluntary Charter states:
1. We recognise that terminal illness requires support and understanding and not additional and avoidable stress and worry.
2. Terminally ill workers will be secure in the knowledge that we will support them following their diagnosis and we recognise that safe and reasonable work can help maintain dignity, offer a valuable distraction and can be therapeutic in itself.
3. We will provide our employees with the security of work, peace of mind and the right to choose the best course of action for themselves and their families which helps them through this challenging period with dignity and without undue financial loss.
4. We support the TUC’s ‘Dying to Work’ campaign so that all employees battling terminal illness have adequate employment protection and have their death in service benefits protected for the loved ones they leave behind.
- More information about the Dying to Work campaign can be found at www.dyingtowork.co.uk
At a recent signing ceremony, our Union was represented by Joanna Richards (Full Time Official for Region 11) who signed the charter on behalf of our members, along with representatives from the company and other sister trade unions which are recognised by Wincanton.
The ‘Joint Trade Unions’ welcome the work done with Wincanton, which guarantees peace of mind for any of their colleagues who find themselves being diagnosed with a terminal illness. It is hoped that Wincanton signing the charter, encourages other employers within the industry to provide the same support moving forward.
- A list of Charter signatories can be found here: https://www.dyingtowork.co.uk/whos-signed/
We continue with our work to seek that other employers sign up to the Charter. The above demonstrates that through dialogue and forward thinking, private sector employers can be persuaded to sign up to the Charter for the benefit of their employees.
United Road Transport Union